Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Freedom Not To Practice



I have been haunted over the last couple of weeks by this video of these North Korean Kindergartners playing the snot out of these full sized guitars while smiling- if those gap-toothed grimaces can be called smiles- into the camera. It is both creepy and wonderful and has caused me to think a great deal about how we teach music to our children in this country.

I think it comes down to the difference between having freedom and not having freedom. I have shared this video with many of my students, at least one of whom went immediately to her violin and practiced. The conversation I have had with them goes something like this: You do have the right not to practice. You have the freedom to do something else with your time. Facebook, video games, soccer, watch TV, whatever. These children probably do not have that freedom. Since they were very small, someone has probably been making them practice- a lot. These children can probably also dance, sing, recite poetry, multiply 3-digit numbers in their heads and tell you many interesting facts about the life of Dear Leader. This is because their parents must have amazing children to keep up with all the other parents who are having amazing children, because they are expected to do so. And being amazing doesn't necessarily mean cute, or fullfilled or even happy.

Anyone who has seen any of the patriotic displays of North Korean dancing with flags and colored lights can imagine that these five guitar players are not particularly unique in a country where keeping up with the Joneses means pushing your child to excel to the brink of abuse. But do these children look unhappy? Are they proud of their accomplishment? Does that accomplishment have any context in a nation of overachievers? Does that accomplishment come with any compensatory reward such as cash or parental prestige? A better house, perhaps, or a car?

Music is truly a universal language, and while I can understand WHAT these kids are doing, I'm not sure I understand HOW they have done it. What kinds of carrots and sticks are used to push what is developmentally possible into the realm of actually possible? I wonder about all the kids who started playing guitar in the same class with these five. Did they drop out because their parents decided they could be superstars at something else? Or is there a whole army of these almost-toddlers with flying fingers? Maybe children are examined at birth and found to have particularly long and agile fingers and are channeled into the study of guitar without any regard to what the parents want.

The secrecy of the North Koreans only makes me wonder more. If this video had come from Japan or China, you could be sure that there would be someone hawking a method for teaching that would get the same results. But this video is just out there. Not much explanation, not much context. But one thing is sure. I can get more out of my own students. Just by seeing this video I have raised the bar of my own expectations of what my students can do. They do have the freedom not to practice. But I am going to remind them from time to time to revisit this performance and contemplate their own potential. Maybe they will practice more. Maybe at least they will have fewer excuses for not doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment