Sunday, November 9, 2014

I Wish You Could See Them

Friday, in my middle school orchestra, is one of the days I set aside for "collaborative, student-driven" work. I get out of the way, with the only instruction being to work on our repertoire in whatever teams they choose, or, if they prefer, they can work alone on their part. The motivation comes from the drive toward Common Core Curriculum which values collaboration, creativity, communication and critical thinking. The inspiration comes from El Sistema, the Venezuelan approach to music education which, out of necessity, often allows for the controlled chaos of many students practicing different instruments in the same room.

Our room is not large, only the size of a standard classroom, and there are 20 plus kids in each class. I needed, this week, to work exclusively with one 6th grader who was really falling behind, so I didn't even do what I do some weeks: get out an instrument and play with them, which helps me gain a whole new perspective on their parts and the challenges they face. This week I monitored the activity from the corner where my desk is, while focusing most of my attention on one student.

Anyone walking into the room during these sessions would think I am losing my mind, and indeed, sometimes I think I might. But I see things and hear things that set me up for a glowing weekend of happy reflection. The kids take this task seriously, while having great fun. The groups shift around; for awhile there might be a bass playing with a violin and a flute. Later the same violin will pair up with a French horn and alto saxophone. The trombone and tuba will play with the trumpet and a clarinet. Snippets from the entire repertoire bounce around the room, and occasionally, the whole class coalesces into one, playing some piece spontaneously together. Leaders emerge, with one or another picking up a pencil to be the conductor. They absolutely do not care that there are a bunch of other people maybe or maybe not playing the same thing sitting a foot away. They enthusiastically call out the name of the next thing they want to play, they stop for each other and work passages out, they share information about fingerings, shifting, vibrato, things I can't always spend time on. It is noisy. Great work is happily happening. I am not lifting a finger. I wish you could see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment