Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Song, and a Surprise.

My job offers me unexpected joys, along with the regular ones. Last week, as I was finishing preparations for the Sierra Madre Middle School class, an aid who works with one of the Special Education students, J-, stopped in to look at the music room. The aid explained that J- had been having a rough day, and asked if would it be okay for him to try out some of the percussion equipment.

I invited them in and watched as the aid put a bass drum beater into J-'s hand. J- had a big smile on his face as he beat on the bass drum a few times. Next, J- sat in a chair and played with the tamborine some, making up excited songs about teachers, classmates and some of his pet peeves as he went along. The aid told me he had never seen J- so happy. Finally, class was about to start, so they left with an invitation to come back any time.

The next day, J- and his aid showed up again, and reprised some of the songs from the day before. We had had the jingle bells, a set of sturdy, jingly ones, out the day before for Orchestra class, so I encouraged J- to look inside the white box where they are kept. I showed him how to hold them by the top handle and tap the top of the handle with his other hand. Then I started singing "Jingle Bells" as he tapped in time. Suddenly, J- burst into song and sang the entire song along with me, every word clear, and his tapping in time perfectly rhythmic. J- looked right into my eyes as we sang together, and we did the song several more times with the aid joining in too. J-'s eyes sparkled and he grinned from ear to ear as we all made music together. I'm not sure which of us was having the best time!

My original idea as a college student was to specialize in Music Therapy. I have some little training in the field, but for various reasons did not follow the training all the way through. This was partly because I came to wonder if any of it was real, or just a way for musicians who couldn't cut it as performers to make a living.

Over the years as an Instrumental Music Teacher, I have had many Special Ed. students in my classes. Just like the regular population of our schools, some of these students thrive and become excellent musicians, and some struggle with the effort. But lately, and especially after encounters like the ones I had with J- last week, I wish I could do more Music Therapy-type activities. Not focussing as much on technical achievement as in sharing music and sharing in the joy of creation. This is something I don't get to do enough of- playing with music- and I truly believe that there is benefit to be had and given beyond and beside the learning/teaching of the craft. Music can reach in to places that other therapies cannot.

I hope J- and his aid will come and visit often. I know I could use the therapy!

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet story. Music is such a powerful form of art. As you say, it reaches people-and their brains-in ways that nothing else can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful story. Music lights up the world. Keep it up! Everyone experiences it at their own level, and that this student was allowed to create his own music, supported and encouraged by you, is just fabulous and so heartwarming.

    ReplyDelete